Article from The EastAfrican.co.ke By FRED OLUOCHPublished: Saturday, 22 June 2019 Standby force is watching Sudan closelyThe Eastern Africa Standby Force (EASF) is monitoring activities in the countryPhoto: Members of Sudan's Rapid Support F...
South Sudan NEWS Portal ®
Source: US Agency for International Development
Country: Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, United States of America
Continued political instability, increased food prices, and declining economic conditions are driving food insecurity in Sudan, where 5.8 m...
Source: US Agency for International Development
Country: South Sudan, United States of America
After more than five years of conflict, South Sudan remains one of the most food-insecure countries in the world. Ongoing violent conflict; population displ...
David Shearer, the head of the UN mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), said the lack of face-to-face meetings between President Salva Kiir and opposition leader Riek Machar remains a fundamental challenge to the peace process.
By Ruud Elmendorp
June 26, 2019 09:36 AM
KAKUMA, KENYA - Like many places hosting refugees, the town of Kakuma in northwestern Kenya saw tensions rise when people fleeing war and lack of basic services flooded in from South Sudan. The new arrivals are staying in a U.N. refugee camp that is already above capacity, causing challenges, but there is also hope and cooperation.
To ease the tensions, the UNHCR invited the local ethnic Turkana community to open businesses in the camp, so they can benefit from the refugees’ presence.
Antagonism grew because the refugees get free schools and hospital care. This strife can turn against the camp’s most vulnerable residents, the women.
Sitani Elamo, 42, lives with her family in a home with clay walls and plastic sheets. She supports them by doing beadwork. Life is not bad she says, but she doesn’t feel safe.
She says that when she goes outside to collect firewood, the Turkana chase her. When there is no firewood she stays close to home and takes the little she can find.
The UNHCR received 7,000 refugees from South Sudan at this site last year, and the number of new arrivals for 2019 has already surpassed the 2018 figure.
“Until the situation is stabilized, the services are again provided, the schools are open, the hospitals are equipped with drugs and equipment they require, we will not be in the position to see a strong return," said Tayyar Sukru Cansizoglu, who heads the UNHCR in Kenya. Cansizoglu says many people here are fleeing South Sudan because of its lack of services after the civil war.
Clothes, vegetables and plastics are sold in the market of the Kakuma camp. The arrival of refugees turned Kakuma into a remote city of 180,000 people. There are some 40,000 tents and shelters around the site, and as women light charcoal fires, children run around and play.
Logosa Akaran is Turkana, and sells maize flour, bread and oil from his shop inside the camp. He says he is happy to be here.
He says that sometimes there are issues when Turkana and South Sudanese insult each other but those are minor issues. Logosa says he lives peacefully and even sleeps here with no problems.
Helping the communities to benefit from each other is key to easing tensions, says the UNHCR's Cansizoglu.
“They say they are very happy to have the refugees because thanks to them they have jobs and food at home,” he said.
Most of the refugees hope that one day they will be able to return to South Sudan. For now, they are settling in.
Sitanim the South Sudanese refugee, recently purchased bricks and cement. The materials are being used to upgrade her family’s shelter.
At least five children have reportedly died of a suspected measles outbreak in Wau state. The cases have been reported at the UN Protection of Civilian site and the surrounding area. According to the IOM, over 380 suspected cases have been recorded between May and June this year. The disease is said to have been […]
Source: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Country: Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Malawi, South Sudan, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
As of 31 May 2019, 856,043 Congolese refu...
The UN chief in South Sudan says the formation of the next government of national unity should not be extended beyond the six months pre-transitional period agreed by the parties last month. In May, the parties agreed to extend the pre-transitional period up to November, 2019. This is to allow for the full implementation of […]
The post UNMISS calls for timely formation of R-TGoNU in November appeared first on Eye Radio.
Cycle of inter-communal violence in Mali intensifies
At least 41 civilians were killed in attacks on the villages of Yoro and Gangafani 2 in the Mopti region of Mali on Monday, 17 June. According to reports, 100 armed men attacked the villages and began shooting civilians, targeting individuals from the ethnic Dogon community. There were also reports that armed men stopped civilian vehicles on nearby roads, separating out Dogon villagers and executing them. At the time of publication, no group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Violence continues to increase in central Mali, particularly between the Dogon and Fulani communities. Despite a history of inter-communal tensions over access to land, water and grazing rights, the inability of the government to provide security – combined with the proliferation of small arms over recent years – has led to the rise of armed “self-defense groups.” At least 190 people, including dozens of children, were killed in two massacres during March and early June, with many smaller attacks also targeting civilians from one ethnic community or the other.
In a joint statement the UN Special Advisers on the Prevention of Genocide and the Responsibility to Protect, and the Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict, said they were “extremely alarmed by the ethnically motivated attacks against civilians in central Mali” and called “on the authorities and all parties involved, including the international community, to fulfill their responsibility to prevent atrocity crimes and protect civilians.”
The Malian government, with the support of the UN peacekeeping mission (MINUSMA), must immediately investigate the attacks on Yoro and Gangafani 2 and ensure that those responsible for inciting, directing and perpetrating the attack are held accountable. When the Security Council considers the renewal of MINUSMA’s mandate later this week, members should prioritize civilian protection, and the need for ongoing efforts to prevent further identity-based violence. MINUSMA should support the government’s efforts to disarm armed groups and promote inter-communal dialogue.
UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia halted due to atrocities in Yemen
On 20 June the Court of Appeal in London ruled that the government of the United Kingdom had failed to adequately assess the actions of the Saudi/United Arab Emirates (UAE)-led military coalition in Yemen prior to issuing licenses for arms exports to Saudi Arabia. According to standards agreed upon by all European Union member states, governments should not license arms exports when there is a clear risk that weapons may be used to perpetrate violations of International Humanitarian Law (IHL). The court ruled that “the government made no concluded assessments of whether the Saudi-led coalition had committed violations of [IHL] in the past, during the Yemen conflict, and made no attempt to do so.”
Following the ruling the UK government suspended new arms sales to Saudi Arabia until an appropriate assessment is conducted. Several other European countries, including Austria, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands and Norway, have already halted the sale of heavy weapons to Saudi Arabia. On 20 June the United States Senate voted again to block the sale of weapons to Saudi Arabia and the UAE despite a threatened veto by President Donald Trump.
Since 2015 all parties to the conflict in Yemen have perpetrated grave violations of international human rights law and IHL, possibly amounting to war crimes. Parties to the conflict, including the Saudi/UAE-led coalition, have routinely used indiscriminate weapons on civilian-populated areas and targeted civilian infrastructure, such as schools and medical facilities, during airstrikes. According to data reported by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED) on 18 June, since 2015 more than 91,000 people have been killed in Yemen, including an estimated 11,700 fatalities resulting from “direct targeting of civilians.” The Saudi/UAE-led coalition is responsible for more than two thirds of all civilian casualties.
In keeping with the Arms Trade Treaty, all UN member states should immediately halt the sale of weapons to parties to the conflict who routinely violate IHL, including Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
Record 70.8 million people displaced by conflict, persecution and atrocities
Last Wednesday, 19 June, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) released its annual “Global Trends” report in advance of World Refugee Day. According to the report, as of December 2018 more than 70.8 million people were displaced by conflict, persecution and human rights violations around the world. This number reflects a 2.3 million increase since 2017 and is the highest ever recorded in the organization’s almost 70-year history.
The number of people forcibly displaced worldwide includes 25.9 million refugees, half of whom are children below the age of 18. Demonstrating the dire consequences of atrocity crimes, 67 percent of refugees came from five countries where war crimes, crimes against humanity or genocide have recently occurred: Syria, Afghanistan, South Sudan, Myanmar and Somalia. For example, the civil war in Syria, now in its ninth year, is responsible for 6.7 million refugees and 6.2 million internally displaced persons. The UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria has documented widespread and systematic war crimes and crimes against humanity perpetrated by parties to the conflict.
Among the top ten countries where more than 41.3 million people are internally displaced, eight have recently experienced atrocity crimes, including Democratic Republic of the Congo, Nigeria, Yemen and South Sudan. The report also highlighted the plight of Venezuelan asylum seekers, who continue to flee the ongoing economic, humanitarian and human rights crisis in that country.
The dramatic increase in forcibly displaced people over the past two decades is not just a reflection of the expansion of conflicts where perpetrators are targeting civilians, but also of the longevity of crises preventing displaced populations from returning home. As noted by the head of the International Rescue Committee, David Miliband, “we are seeing a tragic retreat from diplomacy that should be addressing the root causes of conflict and displacement, whether in Libya or Yemen, Venezuela or Syria. Instead of pursuing accountability for war crimes and investing in peace-building, we are trapped in an age of impunity that is placing civilians, as well as humanitarians, in the crossfire, and driving thousands from their homes every day.”
UN General Assembly to hold plenary meeting on R2P
Tomorrow, 27 June, the UN General Assembly will hold a plenary meeting on “The Responsibility to Protect and the prevention of genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity” as part of the formal agenda of its 73rd Session. The Global Centre encourages all member states to participate in tomorrow's debate.
The plenary meeting will start at 10:00 AM in the General Assembly Hall and will be webcast on UN webtv. For more information follow @GCR2P on Twitter.
Source: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Country: Ethiopia, South Sudan
Bi-weekly Operational Update: 1-15 June 2019
Planning for possible refugee influx from Sudan: Following recent events in Sudan, that have resulted in the evacuation of non-essen...
Source: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Country: Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Total number of re...
The deputy chairperson of the National Pre-Transitional Committee says the body is still experiencing shortages of funds, with only four months left for their term to end. Gabriel Changson Chang said the committee has spent the last two months trying to mobilize enough resources to implement its activities. The term of the NPTC was extended […]
The post NPTC still struggling with meager resources -Changson appeared first on Eye Radio.
قال المبعوث الخاص للأمم المتحدة رئيس البعثة في جنوب السودان ، إن إتفاق السلام المنشط يسير ببطء بشكل محبط ، بين الأطراف الموقعة عليه في 12 سبتمبر 2018....
أعلنت وزارة التعليم العام في جنوب السودان، يوم الثلاثاء ، نتيجة امتحانات الشهادة الثانوية بنسبة نجاح بلغت 77.1 % للعام الدراسي 2018 – 2019.
President Salva Kiir has formed a committee to investigate the mechanism used in the pre-sale of South Sudan’s oil over the past few months. The body is told to thoroughly investigate the pre-sale process, payment, taxes paid and details of oil companies involved in the oil production and sale. The 7 member committee is headed […]
Source: UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Country: South Sudan, Sudan
• Humanitarian partners bolster contingency planning activites in advance of possible demonstrations scheduled on 30 June
• Schools throughout Su...
أصدر رئيس جنوب السودان ، سلفاكير ميارديت ، يوم الثلاثاء، قراراً بتشكيل لجنة للتحقيق في صفقات بيع النفط الخام في البلاد.
A US State Department official said on Tuesday that Washington is considering possible sanctions, if there will be more violence against protesters in Sudan.
“We’re looking at all options, including sanctions down the line should there be any kind of...