South Sudan: Situation Overview: Jonglei State, South Sudan (January-March 2018)

Source: REACH Initiative
Country: South Sudan

Introduction

Ongoing conflict in Jonglei continued to negatively affect humanitarian needs among the population in the first quarter of 2018. Clashes between armed groups and pervasive insecurity, particularly in northern Jonglei caused displacement among affected communities, negatively impacting the ability to meet their primary needs.

REACH has been assessing the situation in hard-to-reach areas in South Sudan since December 2015, to inform the response of humanitarian actors working outside of formal settlement sites. This settlement data is collected across South Sudan on a monthly basis. Between 2 January and 23 March,
REACH interviewed 1527 Key Informants (KIs) with knowledge of humanitarian needs in 710 settlements in 7 of the 11 counties in Jonglei State.

In order to ensure an understanding of current displacement trends and humanitarian conditions in settlements from which displacement took place, new arrivals in data collection sites, representing 43% of KIs, were specifically targeted. The remainder of the KIs interviewed (57%) reported having been in the settlement or having had regular contact with someone from the settlement within the last month. For more information, please see the methodology section in this Situation Overview.

In the first quarter of 2018, displacement data from KI interviews were triangulated with seventeen Focus Group Discussions (FGDs), which involved participatory mapping exercises to understand the routes that internally displaced persons (IDPs) took. These included: a) seven FGDs with new arrivals from Greater Akobo (Uror, Nyirol and Akobo Counties) in Akobo Town, b) five FGDs with new arrivals and people who had recent contact with those in Greater Akobo and Ayod in Bor PoC, c) four FGD with new arrivals from Bor South County in Yolakot, Awerial County, Lakes State and d) one FGD with new arrivals from Juba in Bor Town.

Informing further analysis on food security trends across the state, REACH also conducted ten Food Security and Livelihood (FSL) FGDs with new arrivals and people who had recent contact with those in relevant settlements including: a) four FGDs for Greater Akobo in Akobo Town, b) two FGDs for Duk County and two FGDs for Twic East County in : Bor Town, c) two FGDs for Ayod in Bor PoC. All this information is included in the data used for this Situation Overview.

This Situation Overview provides an update to key findings from the November 2017 Situation Overview. The first section analyses displacement and population movement in Jonglei during the first quarter of 2018, and the second section evaluates access to food and basic services for both IDP and non-displaced communities.