Sudanese security releases six journalists detained during bread protests

January 21, 2018 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s National Intelligence and National Security Services (NISS) on Sunday released six journalists detained during last week’s anti-austerity protests.
As part of the 2018 budget, the government cut subsidies on wheat imports, driving the price of bread up and the Sudanese to the streets to protest against their rising cost of living.
The NISS arrested 15 journalists for covering two protests on 16 and 17 January in Khartoum and Omdurman towns. Seven of (…)


News

/
,
,
,

Sudan’s cabinet to approve tripartite agreement on refugees return to Darfur

January 21, 2018 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s Ministry of Interior on Sunday said the governance and administration sector at the Council of Ministers have approved the tripartite agreement on the voluntary return of Sudanese refugees from Chad.
On 31 May 2017, Sudan, Chad and the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) signed two separate tripartite agreements on the voluntary return of Sudanese refugees from Chad and Chadian refugees from Sudan.
The agreements provide that any repatriation should be voluntary (…)


News

/
,
,

Machar removes rebel governors of Wau and Central Equatoria

January 20, 2018 (JUBA) – South Sudan armed opposition leader Riek Machar Saturday has relieved two governors and their deputies and assigned new faces into office.
The move included the governors of Wau and Central Equatoria states, according to a statement from Machar office.
In a decree, which was effective from 19th January 2018, Machar relieved Central Equatoria State Governor, Brig. Gen.Mario Loku Thomas and his Deputy, Brig. Gen.Peter Wani Elia Wani.
In another decree, he relieved (…)


News

/
,

Sudan arrests 15 journalists during bread price protests: media watchdog

January 19, 2018 (KHARTOUM) – The Paris-based media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RWB) called for the release Sudanese journalists detained after covering recent demonstrations to protest the increase of bread prices.
The National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) arrested 15 journalists for covering two protests on 16 and 17 January in Khartoum and Omdurman towns.
They arbitrary arrest was seen as an attempt form the security apparatus to dissuade the independent local (…)


News

/

South Sudan rebel accuses government of fresh attacks in various locations

January 19, 2018 (JUBA) – The main rebel movement under the overall leadership of the exiled former first vice president in South Sudan has Friday issued a statement giving details of continued military offensives on their positions by the government forces in multiple places across the country.
Col. Lam Paul Gabriel, SPLA IO Deputy Military Spokesperson, according to a statement extended to Sudan Tribune, claimed government forces on Friday morning attacked their base in Pogee as their (…)


News

/
,
,

Former W. Equatoria governor survive kidnap attempt in Uganda

January 18, 2018 (KAMPALA) – A former governor of Western Equatoria State Joseph Bangasi Bakasoro, survived an alleged kidnap attempt by the South Sudanese security agents from Kampala on Wednesday.
On Thursday, his office announced the kidnapping attempt while he was on official visit to East Africa region.
“The South Sudan National Movement for Change would like to inform our supporters and well-wishers about news of a thwarted kidnapping attempt on our Chairman Bangasi Joseph Bakosoro (…)


News

/
,

Lawyers for jailed Machar’s spokesperson pullout over unfair trial

January 18, 2018 (JUBA)-The defence team for the former spokesperson of the former first vice president turned rebel leader Riek Machar announced withdrawal from the case, citing unfair trial despite the recent signing of a cessation of hostilities.
The lead defence lawyer Monyuak Alor Kuol told Sudan Tribune on Thursday that they decided to pull from the process because of “unfair trial.”
James Gatdet Dak was deported to Juba by Kenyan authorities in November 2016 where he has since been (…)


News

/
,
,

South Sudan army denies report on ceasefire violation

January 17, 2018 (JUBA) – South Sudan army (SPLA) has denied reports from peace monitors that it was responsible for ceasefire violation, pushing blame on the armed opposition faction, which it said attempted truce as a way to mobilise and carry out activities.
“The reports you are talking about did not look at the context of what they are saying. Our forces have received clear instructions and orders from chief of defence force and these orders and instructions have been observed. It is (…)


News

/
,
,

South Sudan ambassador denies defection from Kiir’s gov’t

January 17, 2018 (JUBA) – South Sudanese Ambassador to Russia Telar Deng Wednesday denied reports claiming he had defected from the government of President Salva Kiir and joined the opposition groups.
Recently there were reports circulating in the social media claiming that Ambassador Deng, an old friend of the South Sudanese president discussed ways to remove Kiir with a number of opposition officials in a meeting held in Nairobi at the house of the Rebeca Nyandeng de Mabior, widow of (…)


News

/
,

U.S. Congressional delegation to visit Khartoum on Sunday

January 17, 2018 (KHARTOUM) – A delegation from the United States Congress would arrive in Khartoum on Sunday on a three-day official visit at the invitation of Sudan’s National Legislature, said parliament speaker Ibrahim Ahmed Omer
Speaking at a press conference in Khartoum Wednesday, Omer said the Congressional delegation would meet with the Prime Minister Bakri Hassan Salih, ministers of the economic sector, speaker of the National Assembly, opposition parties and the National (…)


News

/
,
,

Taban’s visit to Jonglei violates ceasefire: former detainees

January 16, 2018 (JUBA)- The SPLM Former Detainees (FDs) group Tuesday has condemned the visit of the First Vice President Taban Deng Gai to Jonglei, accusing the government of violating the ceasefire agreement brokered by the IGAD mediators.
In a statement released in Juba, the FDs condemned in the “strongest terms” the violation to the cessation of hostilities by the warring parties in the country, stressing that the two sides have the obligation to observe the humanitarian truce.
“It (…)


News

/
,
,

Sudan’s Two Areas talks to resume on February 1st: official

January 16, 2018 (KHARTOUM) – Sudanese government and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM-N al-Hilu) led by Abdel-Aziz al-Hilu said they received an invitation from the African mediation to resume Two Areas talks from I to 2 February in Addis Ababa.
The Sudanese army has been fighting the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM-N) in the South Kordofan and Blue Nile states, also known as the Two Areas since 2011.
The SPLM-N is now divided into two factions: one led by (…)


News

/

South Sudan former army chief’s aides call for uprising to remove Kiir

January 15, 2018 (JUBA) – The associates of former South Sudan’s chief of staff, Paul Malong Awan, have called for an uprising to remove President Salva Kiir from power, claiming the latter was using divide and rule policy to consolidate his regime.
Kuol Athuai Hal, former Aweil Northern County commissioner who also served in different capacities in the Northern Bahr el Ghazal government including an adviser for peace in the state government run by Awan when he was its governor, told Sudan (…)


News

/
,
,

Sudan says unaware IGAD would take over Two Areas peace file

January 15, 2018 (KHARTOUM) – The government delegation for the Two Areas talks said the African Union Peace and Security Council (AUPSC) didn’t notify Sudan that the East African regional bloc IGAD would carry out the mediation effort instead of the African mediator Thabo Mbeki.
The Sudanese army has been fighting the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM-N) in the South Kordofan and Blue Nile states, also known as the Two Areas since 2011.
The African Union High Implementation (…)


News

/
,
,

S. Sudan’s ex-army chief did not set condition for talks: official

January 14, 2018 (JUBA) – A member of the Jieng (Dinka) Council of Elders has dismissed reports that former army chief of staff, Paul Malong Awan set conditions and demands for President Salva Kiir’s government to meet before entering into talks with the Juba regime. In an interview with Sudan Tribune on Sunday, the co-chair of the Jieng Council of Elders, Joshua Dau said he was unaware of conditions and demands Awan allegedly placed. “Gen Paul Malong was receptive and cooperative in our (…)


News

/
,
,

UN experts urge Libya, S. Sudan to prevent weapons supplying to Darfur rebels

January 14, 2018 (WASHINGTON) – United Nations experts have urged Sudan’s neighbours Libya and South Sudan to stop supplying Darfur armed groups with weapons and ammunition in line with UN resolutions on this respect.
In a report to the Security Council released this week, a panel of five experts says that rebel groups from Darfur region “work as mercenaries” with South Sudanese government and the different warring parties in Libya.
Regarding the restive north African country, the report (…)


News

/
,
,
,
,

S. Sudan Presidential spokesman questions ex-army chief’s denial of audiotapes

January 13, 2018 (JUBA) — Presidential spokesman Saturday Ateny Wek Ateny has questioned the logic behind the denial of the authenticity of the audiotapes which recorded the voices of former army chief of staff, Paul Malong Awan, ordering his associates in the army cause fighting or asked them to carry out attacks in some areas.
The presidential aide said people who denied the authenticity of the audiotapes have either lost the objectivity or had chosen voluntarily and intentionally to (…)


News

/
,
,

13,000 Sudanese refugees return from Ethiopia: governor

January 13, 2018 (KHARTOUM) – Governor of the Blue Nile State Hussein Yassen Hamad said 13,000 out of 55,000 Sudanese refugees have returned to their home areas from Ethiopia.
He told the official news agency SUNA that his government in coordination with the Humanitarian Aid Commission has provided food, clothing and medicine to returnees after they settled in their villages of origin.
Hamad added that a number of rebel fighters have also laid down their arms and returned to the state (…)


News

/
,
,
,

South Sudan News Portal is Stephen Fry proof thanks to caching by WP Super Cache