Press "Enter" to skip to content

29 killed in Abyei attack

South Sudan NEWS PORTAL (JUBA CITY)

More than 29 people, including young children, were reportedly killed in an attack by armed men in the UN-protected Abyei Administrative Area on Wednesday morning.

This incident happened in Kolom, a village about 12 kilometers north of Abyei town.

The armed men reportedly stormed the village at around 7am this morning, according to the chief administrator of the disputed region.

Kuol Alor told Eye Radio that 8 children were among the deceased and 18 others were wounded.

Nine of the wounded are said to be children.

Alor said about 15 children have also been abducted and 22 houses burnt to the ground.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  South Sudan's warring leaders to form long-delayed unity government

“There is a good number of missing people because residents got scattered during the attack,” he stated.

It’s not known where the armed men came from. It’s also not clear how the incident occur yet there is a UN protection force there.

In November last year, the Security Council extended the mandate of United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei or UNISFA until 15 May 2020.

The force is mandated to protect civilians under imminent threat of physical violence; and protect the Area from incursions by unauthorized elements and ensure security.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  US says Kiir, Machar lack ability to lead peace process, criticizes extension

The post 29 killed in Abyei attack appeared first on Eye Radio.

Continue reading at Eye Radio

As reported by Eye Radio. Enjoyed this news story? Read more South Sudan news features on Eye Radio.

Credits : Eye Radio (https://eyeradio.org) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan

Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Babu Owino claims unknown assassins have made an attempt on his life

The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply