Press "Enter" to skip to content

COVID-19: Kenya extends curfew, closure of schools

South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

FILE PHOTO: Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta during a past address. COURTESY: TWITTER/PSCU

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Saturday announced an extension to the nationwide dusk-to-dawn curfew by an additional 30 days and other restrictions as the country continues to grapple with rising COVID-19 cases.

The duration of the curfew has, however, shifted to 9pm-4am from the previous 7pm-5am to allow Kenyans the “opportunity to enjoy a full-day’s work”.

The President also announced an extension to the order on cessation of movement into and out of the Nairobi Metropolitan Area and the counties of Mombasa and Mandera.

Kenyatta, who appeared during a live televised address from State House, Nairobi, revealed that extensive discussions with health experts had taken place to arrive at the decision.

He said that the decision was arrived at after noting that three “irreducible minimums” had not been met to scale back the measures in place.

These minimums are that infections must be contained and number of infections and deaths must be heading downwards, the healthcare system must be prepared sufficiently to take on a surge in infections and the capacity for surveillance and contact tracing must be fully in place countrywide.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Cabinet rejects dead year, opts to buy 10m radio sets

“The question we must all ponder together is whether we have met these three thresholds in order to lift the restrictions. Have the cases of infections taken a downward turn? The answer is definitely no. We are seeing an increase. Have we met the second minimum of prepared health systems with isolation? Again, as I said, the answer is no,” Kenyatta said.

Kenyatta wondered, that with the nation’s health institutions overwhelmed, whether Kenyans were ready to care for the sick at home and expose their loved ones to the deadly virus.

Other restrictions to be extended included the closure of bars, all gatherings and international travel. Schools will also remain closed until September with the Ministry of Education directed to issue guidelines, timetable by mid-August.

Many Kenyans, struggling under the weight of the restrictions, had hoped that the government will lift the restrictions while others remained firm that the government should not do so due to the pandemic’s threat.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Governor relieves commissioner and establishes two counties

Kenyatta said that while he was in favour of reopening the economy, he would not do it to the detriment of the entire country.

Some, including myself, wanted to open up now.  That was, and is still my desire.  I want to open up at the earliest opportunity and get the economy going. More so, as Kenya was ranked the third largest economy in Sub-Sahara Africa this week.”

Kenyatta also announced the lifting of cessation of movement orders imposed on Eastleigh in Nairobi, Old Town in Mombasa and the counties of Kwale and Kilifi.

The decision to lift the orders in the two counties was taken in view of their successful containment of the disease, according to the President.

Additionally, the President directed the Interior and Health ministries to form an inter-faith council to work out protocols to reopen places of worship.

The Ministry of Transport was also directed to engage all key stakeholders and develop protocols to guide the resumption of local air travel.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Kenyan referees praised for upholding integrity

Kenya has so far recorded 2,600 confirmed cases and 83 deaths from the virus.

Original full article available on the website → Africa Live – CGTN Africa

Credits : Africa Live – CGTN Africa (https://africa.cgtn.com) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL
Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan
Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.
The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

↓↓↓

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply