Press "Enter" to skip to content

Foreign mineworkers back at work in South African mines after lockdown

South Sudan NEWS PORTAL (JUBA CITY)

Foreign mineworkers have begun returning to South African mines, though at a slower rate than hoped, as the industry rebuilds output after the easing of the coronavirus lockdown, the Minerals Council said on Thursday.

Mines in South Africa, the world’s biggest producer of platinum and chrome and a major gold and diamond producer, have been raising output after the virus restrictions, which caused some migrant mineworkers return to their home countries.

The Minerals Council said 698 foreign mineworkers had returned on Tuesday, lower than the 1,150 workers they had planned to bring back.

The return of the migrant workers has been delayed due to technical challenges at border posts and limitations on police staffing, with officers required to escort returning workers from the borders to quarantine facilities.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  ‘Be prepared for all eventualities’ Kiir tells governors of 32 states

The 10-day plan to return the foreign workers, who make up about 10% of South Africa’s mining workforce, will now take double the about of time, said Niks Lesufi, senior executive for safety and health at the Minerals Council.

The industry had so far identified 12,500 foreign mineworkers from neighbouring country’s such as Mozambique, Lesotho and e-Swatini who are needed to return to South Africa.

The industry, which has around 75% of its workforce back following the lockdown, has recorded 28 deaths and 3,519 confirmed COVID-19 cases so far.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  UN condemns killing of aid worker in South Sudan's Lakes state

South Africa has recorded 224,664 cases of COVID-19 and 3,602 deaths, according to the

FILE PHOTO: Mine workers are seen under ground at Cullinan mine, near Pretoria, South Africa, February 1, 2019. REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko/File Photo

latest health ministry update on Wednesday.

Continue reading at Africa Live – CGTN Africa

As reported by Africa Live – CGTN Africa. Enjoyed this news story? Read more South Sudan news features on Africa Live – CGTN Africa.

Credits : Africa Live – CGTN Africa (https://africa.cgtn.com) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan

Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Africa may lose 25-30 million jobs in 2020 due to COVID-19: report

The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply