South Sudan NEWS PORTAL (JUBA CITY)
A French court on Friday ruled against the launch of a new inquiry into 1994 assassination of Rwanda’s president that sparked a deadly genocide that killed at least 800,000 people.
Families of those who died when president Juvenal Habyarimana’s plane was shot down near Kigali on 6 April 1994, but Rwanda has dismissed the French process as a “complete farce”.
The appeals court in Paris had been asked to revisit a 2018 decision to throw out a probe against nine members and former members of incumbent Rwandan President Paul Kagame’s entourage.
After six months of deliberations, the court issued a 64-page judgement confirming the initial decision.
The shooting down of Habyarimana’s plane shattered a fragile peace process and sparked a three-month genocide that left 800,000 people dead.
Rwanda’s relations with France have been severed since the European country issued arrest warrants against current President Paul Kagame’s allies.
In November 2016, Kigali launched an inquiry into the alleged role of France in the genocide that lasted more than three months.
France has always denied the allegations and in 2019, President Emmanuel Macron formed a panel of historians and researchers to look into the claims.
In December 2018, French investigating magistrates closed the probe for lack of evidence.
In an interview earlier this week, President Kagame said he wished for the matter to end.
“I believe that the past is behind us,” AFP quotes the president.
“Reopening a classified file is to invite problems,” he said. “If things are not definitively clarified, our relations are likely to suffer one way or another.”
Continue reading at Africa Live – CGTN Africa
As reported by Africa Live – CGTN Africa. Enjoyed this news story? Read more South Sudan news features on Africa Live – CGTN Africa.
Credits : Africa Live – CGTN Africa (https://africa.cgtn.com) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW
Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL
Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan
Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL
We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.
The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.
Read related stories with similar tags below: