Press "Enter" to skip to content

Militiamen launch fresh attacks in South Kordofan

South Sudan NEWS PORTAL (JUBA CITY)


Ruins of Buranga village after the attack by militiamen on 31 July 2020 (ST photo)
July 31, 2020 (KHARTOUM) – Armed militiamen burned civilian homes at a village located in the south of Kass locality in South Darfur state, amid unconfirmed reports about the killing of civilians in the area.

Both the Sudanese Congress Party (SCoP) and the Sudan Liberation Movement led by Abdel Wahid (SLM-AW) said in separate statements issued on Friday evening that the attack took place on the village of Buranga, south of the city of Al-Sabah Al-Sabah, early Friday, July 31, 2020.

Eyewitnesses reported that the attack left martyrs and wounded, but the photos and videos received by Sudan Tribune about the attack showed only burned cats reminiscent of the government militia attacks on the villages of Darfur in 2004 in search of the rebels.

The SLM-AW spokesman Yasir al-Nayer said that the attack took place after the militia leader and his men were released from Kass prison.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Hemeti: ‘Former Sudan intelligence chief responsible for mutiny’

“They had been arrested four days ago after looting attacks in the area” he added suggesting that it was a revenge attack against those who lodged complaints against the militiamen before to accuse government authorities of ordering their release.

The Sudanese Prime Minister recently ordered the deployment of armed forces in the Darfur region to protect civilians following the increase in inter-communal attacks and looting in the region.

Also, civilian governors were appointed for the first time since the fall of former President Omer al-Bashir’s regime.

UN Secretary-General

In a statement on 29 July, António Guterres voiced his concern about the increasing violence in Darfur particularly notably the attacks in West Darfur on 25 July and in North Darfur on 13 July, in which dozens of people were killed and more than 1,500 houses burned.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  BREAKING: South Sudan President secretly battling COVID-19

“The Secretary-General commends the efforts by the Sudanese authorities, under the leadership of Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok, in responding to these incidents, and calls for an investigation to ensure accountability,” said Farhan Haq, Deputy Spokesman for the Secretary-General

“Deliberate attacks against civilians violate international human rights law and international humanitarian law,” Haq added.

(ST)

Continue reading at Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan

As reported by Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan. Enjoyed this news story? Read more South Sudan news features on Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan.

Credits : Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan (https://www.sudantribune.com/) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Sudan shuts schools and universities over coronavirus

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan

Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.

The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply