Press "Enter" to skip to content

South Sudan NEWS Portal ®

DRC’s Katumbi plans December 2017 return to face ‘scared’ Kabila

Moise Katumbi, exiled opposition leader and presidential hopeful of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) says he will return to the country in December this year to participate in elections.

Katumbi, 52, says he remains the only political opposition figure that incumbent Joseph Kabila was afraid of.

“The only man Kabila is scared about in the country is me,” Katumbi said. “Congo is losing every day, every minute, every second Mr. Kabila is in office. His mandate is finished,” he told journalists in London on Monday.

Katumbi who was part of global leaders at the 4th Africa Summit organized by the Financial Times said Congo’s future rested with the private sector, whose interest he was poised to champion as president.

“If I win the election, I need to change that country, to invite all of the investors to come and help us to build our country. It is the private sector that is going to make Congo strong,” the former governor of Copper-rich Katanga province stressed.

Kabila and DRC’s political uncertainty

The DRC is effectively in a state of political uncertainty. Overdue elections is at the heart of the situation. With Kabila’s mandate having expired in December 2016, elections were due but failed to hold due to the unavailability of a voters register and insecurity in parts of the country.

It remains to be known whether the DRC will hold elections this year and more importantly whether Kabila will contest in the said polls. He has served his second constitutional term and a political agreement bars him from contesting when next polls are organized.

The electoral body continues its registration of people across the country but has maintained that an election is highly improbable for this year. Opposition protests are usually dispersed by police crackdown.

‘I support peace process,’ says General Peter Gatdet

A top rebel general said he has voiced support for the peace process in the world’s youngest nation after meeting a team from the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) on the revitalization process in Khartoum on Sunday. “I was asked whether I want peace or not. I said I support peace in South Sudan,” Peter […]

The post ‘I support peace process,’ says General Peter Gatdet appeared first on Hot in Juba.

Right body urges sanctions on S. Sudan’s top leaders

October 9, 2017 (JUBA) - The Centre for Peace and Justice (CPJ) has urged the United Nations Security Council and the United States government to impose sanctions on South Sudan President Salva Kiir and First Vice President, Taban Deng Gai for allegedly instigating the violence that has blocked peace in the country. In an interview with Sudan Tribune, CPJ's coordinator Tito Anthony claimed President Kiir used Gai, a former rebel chief negotiator, to create instability by failing to (...)

-
News

New gang of kidnappers withdrawing blood from teenage girls in Juba

A 17-year victim of kidnap is undergoing treatment at the Juba Teaching Hospital after her abductors withdrew blood from her body. Her mother, Roda Panuel, said the girl was given a lift by a stranger from Muniki as she was going to school last week. The unnamed girl is a student at Comboni Secondary School. […]

The post New gang of kidnappers withdrawing blood from teenage girls in Juba appeared first on Hot in Juba.

S. Sudan to start re-integrating ex-rebels into national army

October 9, 2017 (JUBA) – The South Sudanese government says it plans to start re-integrating former armed opposition fighters (SPLA-IO) in Northern Liech state into the country's national army (SPLA).
The spokesperson for the SPLM-IO Juba faction, Col. Dickson Gatluak Jok said members of the armed opposition faction welcomed the order, which seeks to bring diversity within the national army.
“This re-integration exercise will also bring change in the warring communities and in military bases (...)

-
News

/
SPLM/A In Opposition,
Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA),
Military

South Sudan delegation in U.S for IMF/World Bank meetings

October 9, 2017 (WASHINGTON) – A high-level South Sudanese delegation led by its Finance and Planning Minister, Stephen Dhieu Dau is in Washington DC to attend the annual meeting of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) Boards of Governors.
The annual meeting will take place from 09-15 October.
The event brings together central bankers, ministers of finance and development, parliamentarians, private sector executives, civil society representatives and academics to discuss (...)

-
News

/
South Sudan,
Economy

Mission News Theme by Compete Themes.