Notice: Undefined variable: addons in /home/southsudan/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-warfare/lib/frontend-output/SWP_Script.php on line 332
Press "Enter" to skip to content

South Sudan NEWS Portal ®

Top Zimbabwe miner surrenders major concession to government

Zimbabwe Alloys, the country’s second largest ferrochrome producer, has ceded half of its mining claims to the government, a state-owned newspaper said on Wednesday, ending more than a year of negotiations.

President Robert Mugabe’s government last June threatened to seize half of ZimAlloys 39,175 hectares of mining ground, but the mining company stood firm saying it should be compensated for the claims.

The Herald newspaper reported that ZimAlloys gave up the mining claims last month and was negotiating with an unnamed Indian investor to recapitalise the company.

Officials from ZimAlloys could not be reached for comment.

ZimAlloys, together with Zimasco, held 80 percent of Zimbabwe’s chrome ore claims and Mugabe’s government argued that the companies should surrender some of their ground to allow more new investors to mine chrome ore.

Zimbabwe holds the world’s second largest deposits of chrome, which is smelted to produce ferrochrome, a raw material used in stainless steelmaking.

REUTERS

South Sudan fails to pay its $15 million annual contribution to EAC block

South Sudan’s delay in contributing to the East African Community budget is undermining the country’s integrity, the Undersecretary in the Ministry of Trade, Industry and East African Affairs has said. South Sudan was supposed to pay more than 6.7 million dollar as part of its contribution to the regional block for the financial year 2016/2017. […]

The post South Sudan fails to pay its $15 million annual contribution to EAC block appeared first on Hot in Juba.

Nobody visited me here at my resident because I do smile badly now, Malong says

Until May 09 this year, Gen Malong Awan was one of the most powerful South Sudanese military personals. Paul Malong who is a liberator and the SPLA war veteran served many positions including being Governor and security senior official before he was made the chief of General Staff in 2014 and sacked in 2017. A […]

The post Nobody visited me here at my resident because I do smile badly now, Malong says appeared first on Hot in Juba.

Kenyatta slams ‘destructive division,’ opposition boycott parliament opening

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta opened parliament on Tuesday by warning against divisive and destructive politics, while opposition lawmakers boycotted the legislature and rallied to demand the resignation of election officials.

Kenya held parliamentary, presidential and local elections on Aug. 8, but the Supreme Court nullified the presidential results three weeks later, citing irregularities in the tallying process. New elections are scheduled for Oct. 17.

While calling for unity and respect for the constitution, Kenyatta delivered a thinly veiled warning to the opposition lawmakers who had chosen to stay away from parliament.

“My government will not tolerate anyone intent on disrupting our hard-won peace and stability. Under no circumstances must Kenyans ever allow our free competitive processes to become a threat to the peace and security of our nation,” he said, to foot-stamping and cheering from ruling party legislators.

“We shall continue to encourage vibrant democratic competition, we shall not allow destructive division.”

As he spoke, opposition leaders held a rally in Kibera, the capital’s largest slum, rejecting the Oct. 17 date unless officials on the election board, whom they blame for mishandling the polls, resign.

“Now we are putting it squarely to you that the Supreme Court of this country has found you incompetent,” said Kalonzo Musyoka, running mate of Kenyatta’s presidential rival Raila Odinga.

The surprise election annulment initially raised fears of short-term political turmoil in Kenya, the region’s richest nation and a staunch Western ally in a region roiled by conflict.

But it also raised hopes among frustrated opposition supporters, who believe the last three elections have been stolen from them, that the east African nation’s tarnished courts could deliver them justice.

That hope helped tamp down protests that threatened to spark the kind of violence that followed disputed 2007 elections, when around 1,200 people were killed in ethnic bloodletting.

In a separate development, a ruling party lawmaker and a former opposition senator appeared in a Nairobi court, charged with incitement to violence over speeches they had made in the past week. Both were freed on a 300,000 Kenya shilling ($3,000) bond.

A government body monitoring hate speech says that it has seen a spike since the Supreme Court ruling. More than three times as many incidents were reported in the week following the ruling than during the whole 10-week election campaign, it said.

REUTERS

U.S. Supreme Court allows broad Trump refugee ban

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed President Donald Trump to broadly implement a ban on refugees entering the country from around the world.

The justices granted a request from the Trump administration to block a federal appeals court decision that, according to the Justice Department, would have allowed up to 24,000 additional refugees to enter the United States than would otherwise have been eligible.

The Supreme Court ruling gives Trump a partial victory as the high court prepares for a key October hearing on the constitutionality of Trump’s controversial executive order.

Trump signed an order on March 6 that banned travelers from six Muslim-majority countries – Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen – for 90 days and locked out most aspiring refugees for 120 days in a move the Republican president argued was needed to prevent terrorist attacks. The policy suspended travel to the United States from six Muslim-majority countries, and locked out most refugees.

U.S. courts have since limited the scope of that order. In a ruling last week, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins of legal U.S. residents would be exempt from the travel ban.

The Justice Department opted not to appeal that part of the 9th Circuit decision.

However, the 9th Circuit also ruled that Trump’s refugee policy was too broad, and the court allowed entry to refugees from around the world if they had a formal offer from a resettlement agency.

The Justice Department appealed, and the full Supreme Court on Tuesday sided with the administration in a one-sentence order.

A representative for the Hawaii attorney general, who challenged the administration in court, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Earlier on Tuesday, Hawaii said in a court filing that the U.S. government could still “bar tens of thousands of refugees from entering the country.” All the 9th Circuit ruling did is “protect vulnerable refugees and the American entities that have been eagerly preparing to welcome them to our shores,” the state’s lawyers added.

REUTERS

Ethiopia govt working to resolve Oromia, Somali region security crisis

The Ethiopian government says it is working to resolve a deadly boundary crisis between the Oromia and Somali regional states.

Clashes between the armed factions in the two states have led to the issuance of travel alerts by the United States and Canada. According to reports, the clashes were largely over border delineation issues.

The Information Minister, Negeri Lencho, is quoted by the state-affiliated FANA broadcasting corporate as saying recent clashes led to the loss of lives and property. He said some 600 people displaced by the clashes were receiving humanitarian assistance.

He added that whiles Addis Ababa continues its active mediation efforts, the army had been deployed in the area and was conducting disarmament operations.

An investigation has also been opened and armed groups complicit of attacks on residents are being arrested. Reports indicate that the Ethiopia Human Rights Commission was also on the ground to deal with issues of rights violation.

The US embassy in Addis Ababa on October 10 issued an alert cautioning of citizens of intense gunfire between two cities leaving a main road linking the capital and another town blocked.

The statement read: “The U.S. Embassy is aware of reports that the main road from Addis Ababa to Jijiga has been blocked by security forces between the cities of Babile and Harar due to intense fighting including gunfire.”

The Ethiopian government quickly dismissed the report and said there were only sporadic clashes in the region and that it had been brought under control.

The Canadian government weeks later issued a safety and security alert for Ethiopia, citing clashes in parts of the country. They subsequently cautioned citizens to exercise caution.

A statement on its official portal read: ‘The Safety and security tab was updated – incidents on the road between Harar and Dire Dawa, and between Holeta and Ambo, on August 23.’ They did not state exactly the cause or nature of the incidents.

Harar and Dire Dawa are located in the east whiles Holeta and Ambo are located more in the central part in the Oromia region – close to the capital Addis Ababa.

These are the richest businessmen in South Sudan

South Sudan is a very wealthy country but the wealth and resources are being controlled by very few elites in the country. The country is currently facing hunger and the world is trying its best to avert the situation. We have billionaires in the country and they seem to be busy enjoying their wealth ignoring […]

The post These are the richest businessmen in South Sudan appeared first on Hot in Juba.

‘Made in Cameroon’ buses [The Morning Call]

Now if you have ever embarked on an intercity bus journey in Cameroon recently, you may just have travelled in a bus that was entirely manufactured in Cameroon.

The ‘Made in Cameroon’ buses are not only generating a delight amongst the manufacturers but also amongst commuters.

Although manufacturing output are still small there are huge prospects.

Please play the video above for more on the story.

Three Commercial Boats Headed To Bor From Juba Capsize

At least three commercial boats carrying food commodities from Juba to Bor capsized in the Nile over the weekend. The Secretary of the Boat Union in Bor, Elijah Thok-bor says the boats capsized in different days. Thok-bor says traders have lost goods worth about 14 million South Sudanese pounds. “The first boat sunk on Saturday […]

The post Three Commercial Boats Headed To Bor From Juba Capsize appeared first on Hot in Juba.

Mission News Theme by Compete Themes.

Notice: Undefined index: name in /home/southsudan/public_html/wp-content/plugins/propellerads-official/includes/class-propeller-ads-anti-adblock.php on line 196