Press "Enter" to skip to content

S. Sudan gov’t allocates $16 million for security arrangements

South Sudan NEWS PORTAL (JUBA CITY)

December 15, 2019 (JUBA) – South Sudanese government, through the National Pre-Transitional Committee (NPTC), has allocated $16 million for implementation of the country’s security arrangements.

JPEG - 18.5 kb
S. Sudan cabinet affairs minister Martin Elia Lomoro (Photo KT Press)

Speaking to reporters in the capital, Juba on Friday, the Cabinet Affairs, minister Martin Elia Lomuro said the incumbent government is committed to ensure that lasting peace is achieved in the young nation.

“The amount was already distributed among all mechanisms in the pre-transitional committee, including $16 million for security arrangement,” said Lomuro.

“There is delay but the mechanisms are committed to speed up now since they have the funds in their control,” he added.

Last month, President Salva Kiir and armed opposition leader Riek Machar agreed to delay key benchmarks in the September 2018 peace agreement by 100 days.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Nigeria charges 10 pirates for attacking Chinese vessel

The delay in forming a transitional government by November 12 came after the main opposition group (SPLM-IO) threatened to boycott the process, until the security arrangements are completed.

The number and boundaries of the states and the security arrangements are among key tasks to be completed within the 100 days.

Meanwhile, president Kiir and Machar called on the security mechanisms to speed up the processes to be done in the pre-transitional period to ensure a unity government is formed in February.

Puot Kang, a member of the SPLM-IO, said two rival leaders held a meeting with members of the security committees in Juba on Friday and they were briefed by the different security committees on progress and challenges.

“We have to increase our speed to meet the deadline of 100 days,” he said, adding that the challenges will be overcome if all parties work together.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  If churches could have same aim

South Sudan descended into civil war in mid-December 2013 when President Kiir accused his former deputy Machar of plotting a coup, allegations the latter denied.

In September last year, the country’s rival factions signed a revitalized peace deal to end the civil war that killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions.

(ST)

Continue reading at Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan

As reported by Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan. Enjoyed this news story? Read more South Sudan news features on Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan.

Credits : Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan (https://www.sudantribune.com/) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  My consciousness cannot allow me to continue serving in Jubilee – Ruto’s confidant reveals exit strategy

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan

Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.

The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply