Press "Enter" to skip to content

South Sudan: Over 200 killed in intercommunal violence

Photo: Jonglei state in South Sudan

Photo: Jonglei state in South Sudan

JONGLEI – Hundreds of people have been killed in a new burst of intercommunal violence in South Sudan, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Thursday (Friday in Manila), with “many more” injured and thousands displaced.

Among those killed in Jonglei state were a local Red Cross volunteer and a nurse working with the medical aid group Doctors Without Borders, the statement said, stressing that the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic complicates efforts to respond to such violence and treat the victims.

“Covid-19 restrictions make it far more difficult to evacuate the wounded by air and provide surgical care for trauma injuries,” the ICRC said, adding that 23 people were evacuated by air this week.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  CDR James Koang Chuol: Why I am Resigning from SPLM-IO

Local authorities have expressed outrage at the killings over the weekend, the latest in intercommunal fighting that plagues a country trying to recover from five years of civil war.

Patrol of peacekeepers

The United Nations (UN) mission in South Sudan on Wednesday said a patrol of peacekeepers reached the communities in Pieri in northern Jonglei to investigate the violence between armed Murle youth and Lou Nuer fighters. It found many huts burned to the ground.

“These violent assaults on civilian communities as part of an ongoing cycle of revenge must stop. While politically motivated conflict has reduced in South Sudan, intercommunal fighting has increased,” UN special representative David Shearer said in a statement.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Statement by the Special Representative of the Secretary-General Press Conference Juba
Cycle of violence

The UN said it had been trying to deter such cycles of violence including in February after a “Lou Nuer offensive on Murle communities that resulted in hundreds of deaths to avenge persistent Murle raids on Lou Nuer villages.” The virus restrictions, however, have stalled the peace efforts.

The pandemic also complicates South Sudan’s recovery from civil war in which nearly 400,000 people were killed. The former leader of the armed opposition, Riek Machar, who is now a vice president, announced this week he tested positive for the virus.

Original full article available on the website → Sudans Post
Credits : Sudans Post (https://sudanspost.com) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Italian experts diffuse WWII bomb in northern city

Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan
Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.
The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

↓↓↓

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply