Press "Enter" to skip to content

Sudanese army retakes rebel position in western Jabel Marra: Central Darfur governor

South Sudan NEWS PORTAL


Sudanese soldiers collect weapons voluntarily surrendered by residents in South Darfur State, Sudan, on Sept. 23, 2017 (Xinhua photo)


June 5, 2020 (KHARTOUM) – Sudanese army recaptured a position in western Jabal Marra area held by the Sudan Liberation Movement – Abdel Wahid al-Nur (SLM-AW) and a militia group led by the notorious tribal leader Musa Hilal said the Central Darfur Governor on Friday.

On Tuesday 2 June, the Sudanese army said the SLM-AW and the Revolutionary Awakening Council (RAC) attacked its position in the area and accused them of breaching a cessation of hostilities.

In a press statement released on Friday, Governor Suleiman al-Amin Mussad confirmed that the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) control Kartum area in western Jebel Marra after the brutal attack by the two armed groups.

“The armed forces were able to recover the areas that had been attacked by the movements in a short time, with a qualitative operation in which the aggressors suffered heavy losses of life and equipment,” Mussad said.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Kenya Airways expects to lose $500million this year

The SLM-AW is not part of the peace talks in Juba, while the group of Musa Hilal is struggling to free its leader who is in jail since now two years ago.

This is the first time the government speaks about the presence of RAC fighters who are from North Darfur in Jebel Marra. Hilal followers say he is arrested by Mohamed Hamdan Daglo “Hemetti” his former aid, current RSF leader and also the deputy chairman of the Transitional Sovereign Council.

However, SLM-AW spokesman Mohamed Abdel Rahman al-Nayer dismissed the statement of Central Darfur governor saying there were no clashes between the two sides since the first of June.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  South Sudan’s President makes surprise announcement to return the war-torn country to 10 states

“The army’s statement about recovering areas is only an attempt to boost the morale of its soldiers after the losses incurred in the ranks of the assailant forces from the Sudanese army,” said al-Nayer.

The SLM-AW exiled leader had pledged to launch an initiative for a comprehensive peace inside Sudan, but he postponed it until the end of the coronavirus crisis.

(ST)

Original full article available on the website → Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan

Credits : Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan (https://www.sudantribune.com/) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  The Charity Base responds to sponsorship scam

Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan
Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.
The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

↓↓↓

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply