Press "Enter" to skip to content

Sudanese rebel movement extends cease-fire for 7 months

South Sudan NEWS PORTAL (JUBA CITY)

A major Sudanese rebel movement on Wednesday declared extension of a unilateral cease-fire for seven months.

“The cessation of hostilities includes all areas under the control of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM)/northern sector,” said Abdel-Aziz Al-Hilu, Chairman of the SPLM/northern sector, in a statement.

“The cease-fire will be effective as of July 1, 2020 and lasts until January 31, 2021,” he said.

Al-Hilu instructed all units of the SPLM/northern sector to observe and respect this declaration and to refrain from any hostile acts.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  UN Security Council delegation arrives in Juba

“The move comes as a gesture of good will towards the peaceful settlement for the conflict in Sudan and to avail the opportunity for the success of the ongoing peace talks,” Al-Hilu said.

The SPLM/northern sector is fighting the government at South Kordofan, while another faction of the SPLM/northern sector, led by Malik Agar, is fighting the government in Blue Nile area.

Peace talks between the Sudanese government and armed groups from Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile regions have been held in South Sudan’s capital of Juba since October last year. Enditem

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Maiwut’s PMCP in Political Turmoil in Juba

Continue reading at Africa Live – CGTN Africa

As reported by Africa Live – CGTN Africa. Enjoyed this news story? Read more South Sudan news features on Africa Live – CGTN Africa.

Credits : Africa Live – CGTN Africa (https://africa.cgtn.com) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan

Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Opinion: Open letter to FVP Dr. Riek Machar Teny

The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply