Press "Enter" to skip to content

U.S., European trade groups press China to allow foreign staff back into the country

South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

May 28, 2020

By Emily Chow

SHANGHAI (Reuters) – U.S. and European trade groups are lobbying China to allow foreign workers back into the country after it shut its borders from late March to non-Chinese nationals to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

Having managed to all but halt domestic transmission of the virus, China now sees its biggest threat from cases imported from abroad.

Currently, it has only relaxed rules to allow some business travel from South Korea and Germany. It has also consulted with Japan about easing border controls.

A charter flight from Frankfurt, the first organised by the German Chamber of Commerce in China, is scheduled to land in Tianjin on Saturday carrying around 200 German company employees who obtained visas via a “fast-track” programme.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Situation Overview: Jonglei State, South Sudan January - March 2020

A second charter flight to Shanghai on June 3 is also planned and there are likely to be more given that 2,000-2,500 employees are waiting to enter China, said Jens Hildebrandt, the chamber’s North China executive director.

But staff of many nationalities employed by firms in China are still waiting for permission to return.

The China-Britain Business Council said China’s foreign affairs ministry is communicating with the British embassy to implement a “fast-track” entry arrangement for UK nationals on essential and urgent visits.

The European Union Chamber of Commerce has provided Beijing with a list of foreigners seeking return to China, according to Jacob Gunter, the chamber’s senior policy and communications manager for China.

“Although the process has been challenging … the European Chamber believes things are heading in the right direction,” he said.

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  US slaps sanctions on 5 South Sudanese

Alan Beebe, president of the American Chamber of Commerce in China, said his organisation knew of many senior executives who were stranded around the world.

“There has only been a small number of executives allowed back into China so far, all of which have been granted entry on an individual basis,” he said.

China’s foreign ministry did not respond to a request for comment.

(Reporting by Emily Chow in Shanghai; Additional reporting by Beijing newsroom; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)

Original full article available on the website → World – One America News Network

Credits : World – One America News Network (https://www.oann.com) → Author : South Sudan PRESS REVIEW

Publishing and Aggregation by : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

S.Sudan NEWS PORTAL:  Sudan army: Ethiopian attack repelled

Permission : Central Press Syndicate South Sudan
Facebook : South Sudan NEWS PORTAL

We respect the intellectual property rights of our news sources and expect our users to do the same. We may provide links to external news sources from time to time, but any trademarks, logos, photographs and videos remain their copyrighted works. If you feel our website violates fair use or infringes on your copyright, inform us immediately for redress.
The Central Press Syndicate of South Sudan publishes articles related to South Sudan from press wires, verified social media sources and Google news, thereby centralizing South Sudanese news from all over the web, in an easy to read format.

↓↓↓

Read related stories with similar tags below:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply