Source: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Country: South Sudan, Uganda
- 59,435 Total number of persons of concern to UNHCR registered in urban areas
- 41,457 Are registered refugees
- 17,978 Are registered asylum seekers
- UNHCR including sector heads from Protection, Resettlement, Community Based Protection, Education, Child Protection, SGBV, Programme, livelihoods and Health participated in a town hall meeting with urban refugees chaired by the Deputy Representative (Protection). The meeting was held at the newly opened Nsambya Community Centre in Kampala. The meeting focused on creating open dialogues between refugees and UNHCR, OPM and InterAid (IAU) staff in Kampala. It was agreed to have similar sessions on a regular basis to ensure that feedback and frequent communication between refugees and services providers.
- During the reporting period, 1,711 PoCs (1077F/634M) accessed the Urban Refugee Program of IAU for services ranging from information and guidance, health, food, shelter, psychosocial counselling, education, legal among other services. Persons of concern (PoCs) were also sensitized during morning addresses with information regarding; verification at OPM for those who missed verification in 2018, available services at IAU, public institutions and agencies serving refugees and self-reliance policy in Urban. They were also provided with information regarding the newly established Feedback,
Referral and Resolution Mechanism (FRRM) by UNHCR.
- 5,343 individuals from 1,083 households including 80 families with children at risk and 10 foster parents benefitted from UNIQLO clothing distribution. The beneficiaries included children, older persons, women, men and persons from the refugee and host community.